Vassar College Libraries

Vassar College

Main Library Hours

Today 8:30 am to 12:00 midnight See All »

News & Events

Andrew Ashton selected the new Director of the Libraries

Following a national search Andrew Ashton has been named the new Director of the Libraries at Vassar College, to provide leadership to a central and strategically important partner in the academic enterprise.

Ashton will oversee all library operations including approximately 40 professional and para-professional staff members and over 150,000 square feet of space.  The libraries at Vassar consist of the Thompson Memorial Library, Lockwood and Ingram libraries, Archives and Special Collections, Van Ingen Art Library, George Sherman Dickinson Music Library, and the Digital Library. Together they house more than one million print volumes, and each year welcome upwards of 300,000 in-person visitors and loan roughly 20,000 items to other institutions.

Ashton brings a wealth of experience to directing the Vassar libraries. Most recently he was Associate University Librarian for Digital Technologies and co-head of the Center for Digital Scholarship at Brown University. Prior to that he served as systems librarian at Skidmore College and music librarian for Radio Free Asia in Washington D. C.  He earned his undergraduate degree in music at Cornell University and Master’s degrees in American history and library science at the State University of New York at Albany.

“I am honored and excited to join the Vassar community, and I see enormous opportunities in aligning Vassar's libraries with the dynamic and multidisciplinary curriculum,” Ashton says.“I look forward to working with students and faculty to build partnerships that both reaffirm and expand the libraries' critical role in the college's academic mission.”  

Ashton begins his position in mid-August.

Vassar College is a highly selective, coeducational, independent, residential liberal arts college founded in 1861.

Posted by Office of Communications Monday, July 27, 2015