Vassar College Libraries

Vassar College

Main Library Hours

Today CLOSED See All »

News & Events

One hundred years of Vassar: The Alumnae/i Quarterly is now available online

The college is pleased to announce that all issues of Vassar: The Alumnae/i Quarterly, up to Winter 2015, are now available online.  This digital archiving effort was led by the Vassar College Libraries staff—particularly Laura Streett, Vassar's College Archivist, and Joanna DiPasquale, Digital Initiatives Librarian. 

Working with an outside vendor, they digitized 453 issues—from 1916-2015—totaling 29,832 pages. The project is the latest in an effort by the Libraries to make Vassar's archival materials and publications available online.

Though the magazine’s title and publication patterns have varied, Vassar has served as the official magazine for the alumnae/i of the college for a century. Its topics range from current events (both at the college and beyond), to alumnae/i profiles, literary entries, and notes about graduates in each class. The digital archive allows for each issue to be viewed page-by-page or downloaded in PDF format. The collection is also searchable.

New issues will be digitized in bulk every two years. Due to the personal nature of its content, the Class Notes section will be embargoed until alumnae/i are more than 79 years past their class graduation year.

The magazine, which has been published since 1916, was started to keep alumnae/i connected to “the living, working Vassar.” In his “President’s Message,” then-President H. N. MacCracken wrote: “It is my earnest hope, that Vassar Quarterly shall be another link in the chain of loyalty which binds together the Vassar community both on campus and over the hedge.”

Elizabeth Randolph, editor of Vassar, says, “This archive is a valuable resource. It offers an easy way to access slices of Vassar history that many will appreciate, including alumnae/i, current students, and other members of the Vassar community.”

She notes that “The Vassar Libraries recently digitized the Misc [Vassar’s student newspaper], and that turned out to be quite a hit. I’m hoping this collection will be just as popular.”

"The records of Vassar's past and present are valuable far beyond our own institution," says Streett. "They are evidence for the study of innumerable social, political and cultural issues. Digitization makes that material available in new ways to more researchers than previously possible."

To access the archive, go to http://library.vassar.edu/vq/.

Posted by Office of Communications Tuesday, February 2, 2016