Skip to main content

Today's hours:

See all library hours »

  • Ask a Librarian
  • FAQ

Information for...

Students Studying Abroad (JYA)

While you are studying away, the library at your host institution will be your first resource for research and access to unique materials. You have access to the following services from the Vassar Library and we encourage you to use them as needed.

Research assistance

If you have a research question or need help with a research project, e-mail the Research Desk at Tell us about the project you are working on and what types of material you need.
Be sure to identify yourself as a JYA student and tell us where you are studying and what type of computer access you have.

Access to databases

To access databases from abroad, use our "Connect from Off-Campus" page. Login with your Vassar username and password. You will then be able to use all our subscription databases. If you have problems using the proxy server, contact CIS at

Finding articles

Select a Database to search for articles or use Discover to search for articles in multiple databases.


If an article you need isn't available at your host institution, check Journals A-Z to see if Vassar has the journal online. If you are searching a database from the Databases, list, use ArticleLinker to check for electronic access. When using e-journals or ArticleLinker, you must be proxied in.

Requesting Material Physically Located in Vassar Library

You may request copies of material physically located in the Vassar Libraries by sending an e-mail to Identify yourself as a JYA student. We will scan articles and book chapters and send them to you as PDFs. Provide your mailing address or FAX number if you are not able to access PDF files. We cannot copy whole books.
Please give us the complete citation (author, title, journal name, volume, issue, date, pages) for the article or book you need. Also please check the Vassar online catalog and provide the call number of the book or journal. For tips on identifying books or articles, use our Ask a Librarian service or contact the subject specialist in your area.

Interlibrary loan

Although books cannot be sent abroad, you may use ILLiad to request book chapters or articles. Please put "JYA" in the NOTES field so we know you are off-campus.